Friday, January 17, 2014

Goodby Genova, Hello Muggiò

It is literally like no where I've ever been...Narnia one could say.



It's a lot colder.. I knew it would be because Milan is really cold.  So I was a little worried about that, but then I got here...

anticipation
I was totally stressed out about coming to Muggiò because of the cold & I felt like I finally got my feet on the ground in Genova & I would miss my ballerina 

Paige and Sorella Durfee in Genova

& "bottle breaking" a missionary (third transfer) can be hard because they're still so so new & don't really know how to be their own missionary yet.  I don't know how to sympathize with that because I was my own bottle breaker with Sorella Astel.  Anyway..

travel plans
I get stressed out about traveling (who knew) and I only had 40 euro in my wallet. (Sorella Cruz bought me a new wallet because mine got stolen & gave me a mug with our picture on it.... stop it, I'm obsessed.) 




centrale reunion
So I got here well into Milano Centrale and it was so fun.  

I saw all my friends:  Sorella Astel, Anziano Miller,  Sorella Lemos, Sorella McCann and Baer, Carter and Bringas..  

& then we had to go to Milano Cimiano where all the new missionaries were getting their trainers.  


card carrying
I needed to get my mission card before going to Muggiò because the man who had my card was there. So we took ALL MY LUGGAGE through the metro and up 100 stairs. (I'm so not afraid of making strangers help me with my luggage up the stairs--they're heavy.) 

We get up to Cimiano and Anziano Harmer meets me halfway down the stairs and gives me my card.  I was happy about not having to carry my luggage any further but also a little sad because I knew Sorella Hunter was up there and I wanted to see her... 

thanks, but...
So I played thirsty... so they had to give me water AND I GOT TO SEE SORELLA HUNTER.  I didn't feel bad about playing thirsty because we needed each other for 5 minutes.  It was so so so good.  Tell her mom to tell her that I'm so, so proud of her & I love her & that she can do hard things.

for narnia!
Anyway, we get to Muggiò and turns out the ward had given the sisters like 15 winter coats. Let's talk about prayers being answered.  (Reminded me of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.) 

 They're all sized way too big for any normal human being & supperrr wayy too Italian, but I've been wearing a Size 20 fur-lined jacket the past week. hahah.  wonderful. 

THE WARD IS AWESOME HERE. 

real beauty
As far as missionary work in Italy goes, it's like yeah you get to serve in these beautiful cities but that doesn't mean anything if the members are mean and the people are mean... 

Muggiò isn't the prettiest city, but it's quiet and level grounded and the people are so nice and the members are even better.  


Also it's like 30 minutes from Milano and we can go there every pday if we want.  We were in Milano six out of seven days last week, so I feel like I have the best of both worlds... Milano for saldi season... stop it.  (clearance sales)


where am I?
Also I know people here!  Not really, but there is a member who was asking me where I'm from and I was telling her I was from California and she asks, "Where?"  So I tell her I'm from LA because no one actually knows anything about California and that's the only city they know.  

So this lady says, "Oh, well I have a friend who lives in MORENO VALLEY"... (jawdropp)  Turns out she's really good friends with Julia Smialek's mom (Daniela Battaglini Broderick - Anna introduced the gospel to their family) and she came to California for her wedding... whhaatttt? 

Then there is this brand new returned sister missionary who is so cool.  She served in Temple Square.  Then for her four months outside of Utah, she served in the Ventura mission and went to the Oxnard chapel for all zone meetings... whhhaattttt?  (where we attend church when we're at the beach house)

Then there is this other American girl in the ward who is my age and studying fashion in Milano who is from Salt Lake.  She's so cute and she knows Nate Jessee really well.  They went to prom in the same group.  And thennn there is another greenie, Anziano Cameron, who knows Amy Jessee... so after church on Sunday I was like, "W h e r e  a m  I ?" 

Also, there is a man in the ward who was the former temple president in Switzerland and his son is an eye doctor and gives free eye exams to missionaries and discounted contacts and glasses moorreee prayyeerss answered... whhatttttt?  

church building in Muggiò

day of rest
AND THE BEST PART IS.... someone gives us a ride to and from church EVERY SUNDAY. and we have someone who teaches Gospel Principles.  Sunday is perfect. There is this list someone made up for the members to feed the missionaries every Sunday, so we just get picked up in church and have an actual giorno di riposo... it's crazy 

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL... It's one thing to have nice members and it's another thing to have members who do missionary work.  

A member family picked us up in their car from our lunch appointment on Sunday and took us to their house so we could give a spiritual thought to their less active teenage daughters.  After the lesson they were like, "And we have a family that we want you to teach.  Can we pick you up this Friday and we'll do dinner and a first lesson with them?"... ask Kaitlin, that does not happen. WHERE AM I?! 

Last week the capi zona taught 14 member present lessons.. that does not happen. and we weren't far behind.. it's like.. I love Muggiò

Also when I was buying my bus metro train pass in Milano, I got to help like 7 models with their paperwork because they didn't understand anything.  I felt plain standing next to them, but it was an experience I'll never forget.  They were so tall and beautiful.  They work for H&M. so cool. 


I don't have my personal card yet, but they called me the other day and told me it  was there in the office.  President is coming to do interviews on Monday, so he'll bring it then.  And if he forgets then I'm just going to go down to Milano and pick it up, no big deal..... 

I never wanted to serve in Milano because I thought it would be ghetto and hard, but turns out I like being a missionary NEXT to Milano because I get the best parts!

My new companion is from Arizona and is bubbly and loves Disney movies and songs.

You don't have to worry about me here... it's gonna be good! 

Crazy how at this rate I only have one city in me left after this one.  Kaitlin will be transferred to her dying city next transfer... whhaaatttt?


#yolo, Sorella O'Connor

(Email Sent - January 15, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment