Saturday, August 17, 2013

Another Week

Another week passed in Pordenone & we had a lot of good things happen! First, it was Sister Hunter's birthday!! Sorella Astel and I made a surprise tiramisu (senza cafè-without coffee) and it was our first Italian dolce we made without the help of real Italians.. and if I do say so myself, it was prettttyyy good. 

Birthdays on the mission are funny hahaha.

ride of my life
First I'll tell you about Monday. It was awful, but because we are missionaries its fine, hahahah.  So it's really hot here--like really really really hot.  All four of us missionaries agreed to go out to lunch with one of our members after weeks of inviting us.  She is this short Romanian women who works in a fabrica.  

After district meeting, we all got on our bikes and rode to her house.  She was leading us to her favorite restaurant.. but little did we know it's like three or four towns over.  We were biking through roundabouts and on freeways.  

Then as we were riding our bikes on the side of the freeway, I heard a clink and a clank and then my bike fell apart. on the freeway. three towns away. in the hottest weather I've ever been in. 

It was funny because Ana (the member) was yelling at cars to stop, but they didn't.  So she flipped my bike upside down and tried to fix it.  Then we decided we need to leave the bike and walk the rest of the way to the restaurant.  

something fishy
It wasn't the much farther of a walk, but little did we know she was taking us to Mela Rossa which is like an Asian Hometown Buffet.  I ate sushi and fried I-don't-know-what.  I accidentally had some tiramisu with coffee in it in front of her (oops). I didn't know.  And I had some fishy pasta (pasta with fish).  I can't even accurately describe what I ate...  

take one for the team
But the other copia had the new senior couple pick them up in their car and take one bike.  Sorella Astel and I took one for the team and biked home with Ana using the other sorelle bikes.. After we dropped Ana off, we went straight to the PAM and bought two giant coca-colas to kill off all the strange food we put into our bodies.  

dinner with the president
By then we had to cancel all our appointments and it was time to go to our dinner appointment at our stake president's house (a BIG DEAL) -- just Sorella Astel and I with the little Italian we know. We were so terrified.  

So I switched back to the man bike (saddest moment of my life) and biked to Cordenones' house the next city over (about the same distance from home to HUB - her dad's workplace in Riverside) hahah to eat more food.  But it went really well and we were able to communicate and the food was really good and then we went home and went to bed.  Normally we don't spend all day eating, but Monday was for "strengthening the ward" hahah.

tricksy
So remember our friend I told you about who is from the Ivory Coast with no thumbs and half his skull cut out? It has been rough getting him to progress, but Sorella Astel and I KNEW that if we just got him into the church he would like it.  (Our church building is very special, and there is no other one close to it in Italy. The American ward meets there, and it's just like an church building in the States, but better.  Once you get inside you don't want to leave! plus it has A/C) 

So Sorella Astel and I were making our game plan to get Emanuale in church.  A "District" style missionary would would be like, 

"Let's have a lesson about the importance of coming to church and we can bear our testimonyies and maybe shed a tear or two."  

But we decided that we were gonna buy snacks at the grocery store and leave them in the fridge at church.  Then we were gonna trick him into coming by telling him we got him a surprise but we "accidentally" left it in the fridge and we have to walk over there and go get it.  

So we pass by his house and long story short... it worked!!  We gave him a little tour and it was awesome.  He's coming to church on Sunday, I'm sure. 

loopy
About my sinus infection: it's getting better!  I'm on antibiotics, but they make me kinda loopy, hahah.  I'm just on the gross tail-end of the sickness where I need to cough up that green junk all day long.  

the scarf treatment
But it's so annoying because Italians have this thing where they're convinced you can get over ANY sickness with a scarf.  I thought that was just a myth, but its a real thing.  They actually think that.   

Evidently the reason I'm sick is because it's so hot outside and then I go into the church and turn on the A/C.  Going from the hot to the cold is very bad for you and you have to wear a scarf.  If you knew how hot it was... it's just not going to happen. 

So I just get yelled at by the Italians. I don't care.
Also I'm pretty sure the drugs they gave me get me a little high.. That's Europe for ya. 

The Sanders said my package arrived yesterday, but I haven't picked it up yet! so excited. 

I LOVED ALL MY EMAILS THIS WEEK! all the pictures were so cute. I sent you a package mom. Let's hope it gets there. I'm not sure what my address is.. I would just send everything to the mission home or the Sanders' address. 
Six months for Kaitlin, yay!  I like to count myself down from Kaitlin's mark because then it's like I get an extra transfer at the end, hahaha.

conversations from home
Mom: I don't think it's bad to plan things for when we get back, hahah.  Also thought Civil Wars took a break?  That's a good surprise they have a new album!  I heard a Bon Iver song walking past one of the shops and died a little inside.. I miss them terribly.  Also you flew through the Chicago airport?  That's the last American airport I was in!  They have realllyy good popcorn there. SCOTT LOOKS HUGE. in a nice way. 

Yeah I know dairy makes my sinus infection worse! If there is one thing my mom taught me, it is that dairy makes everything worse but also everything better. 

August SUCKS. 

Also you have NO IDEA how much I loved that picture of our sweet anziani.. I MISS THEM (in an appropriate missionary-type way).  I haven't seen Ostegar since Milan Day Two and Gneiting since the end of Transfer One. (I sent her a picture one of the missionary moms posted of two of the elders she was with in the MTC on an exchange together.)

Paige's MTC buddies Elder Ostergar and Elder Gneiting



Bekah is so beautiful (with her baby belly).  

I MISS KATELYN KERR. She is next to get married and I want to go to the temple with her, but it's fine.  I guess I'll wait.. 

Also tell Maria Miranda that: No, I haven't learned Italian yet, hahah.
Also that was really nice of Andrea to say (I received a message from one of the members of her ward saying that she is doing a good job as a missionary) - so haha you can talk to him because he speaks english because he served a mission in Georgia (the state not the country). 

Also he gained 85 kilos on his mission so that makes me feel better about my 15 pounds. Also you can keep the chubby pictures of mom coming... (I sent her a pic from my mission)  they make me feel very very happy. hahaha but seriously! 

I love you all and I'll see you soon!

(Email Sent - August 7, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment